Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fiestas Patrias



Friday, September 18th was Chile's Independence Day! This week of school the students were preparing for parades and cueca competitions. It was a short school week in which we only had classes Monday through Wednesday. It was a fun week. On Wednesday, the students were practicing the cueca, and the next thing I knew, they were asking Michelle and I to do it. They just threw us out there without any instruction. After they realized that we really didn't know what we were doing, they showed us several steps.

This week I also experienced my first earthquake. On Wednesday morning, right as we were waking up, there was a rumble and then the whole room jumped. We were told that we would experience earthquake tremors periodically, so there will probably be more to come.

On Saturday a family in the church invited us to their family's Fiestas Patrias Pampia (Party). They had two goats which they cooked and made bread on the grill and then we had several games. Sack races, three-legged races, tug-o'-war, balloon popping contest, a chicken chasing game, and a race up the mountain. We ended off the afternoon with more cueca dancing. I'm starting to get the hang of it!

Prayer requests:
*Pray that I would be focused on Christ in every relationship and in every conversation.
*Pray for the church in Ovalle as we seek to be able to help connect the members there with the people in La Villa and El Palqui.
*Pray for Michelle and I, that we would be encouraging each other toward Christ and that even in our relationship we can point others to Christ.

Thank you for your prayers. God is working in Chile, in the lives of believers and in the people that we are around in the two little towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment