Way back on August 28th, the first day that I ever went to El Palqui, I read John 4:35, “Do you not say, ‘Four months more and then the harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” At that point, the significance of four months was huge. Four months was exactly the amount of time that I would spend in Chile. Periodically, this verse would continue to come to mind. At times, through my eyes, El Palqui did not seem like a place ripe for harvest. Yet these last several weeks, there have been so many opportunities!
Last Tuesday, during our classes in La Villa with 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, Michelle and I shared our personal testimonies. Linda, the missionary from Ovalle that we stay with on the weekends, came to serve as a translator. After we both shared, we allowed the kids time to ask questions. On child asked, “How old were you when you began being interested in God?” How simple that Michelle and I could share our stories and point towards the Father’s work in our lives.
The next day, Wednesday, we held our first successful movie night in La Villa. If you remember, a few weeks ago we attempted a movie night, but we had trouble with the sound. This time it worked! We had a Veggie Tales movie for the younger kids and then Facing the Giants for the older children and parents. The majority came to the movie for the younger kids, but about a dozen stayed for Facing the Giants. There will continue to be movie nights every week in La Villa, sometimes movies that the school principal provides, and sometimes movies that we provide.
On Thursday, Jenny, one of the five of us girls that are teaching English in the north, had to go back to the United States because her father is very sick. Please be praying for Jenny and her family, as well as for Rebecca, her teammate that is now working alone in their community.
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday Michelle and I went to Paihuano, the city that Katrina works in. We were able to be in her community for those days, visit her school, and see a new part of Chile! Saturday, Sunday, Monday, we went to Gualliguaica, where Rebecca (and Jenny) live. On Sunday morning, we were able to milk goats and make goat cheese! It was so fun!!! On Sunday night, we went to the Mamalluca observatory and participated in a 2 hour English tour in which I learned about the stars in the Southern Hemisphere! Monday we went to school with Rebecca, which was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Rebecca teaches a Bible lesson to the 4-6th grade class. Monday morning she taught the story of Mary anointing Jesus’ feet with perfume and drying them with her hair. The principal/teacher helps her communicate the message of the story and he actually led the kids through the process of acting out the story. It was really cool. After the story, we taught the kids, "Lord, I lift your name on high" in spanish with the motions of course!
Tuesday, we were back in La Villa and taught the kids months of the year, seasons, and a few select holidays in English. We played bingo with them using those words, and they really enjoyed it! After school we went on "an adventure" with 3 of the kids in our classes. We hiked around the hills and the canal behind La Villa. Wednesday we worked in El Palqui and after school we went to a meeting of all the English teachers in the municipality. Michelle and I were able to tell a little bit about ourselves and also tell them why we are here in Chile, to share about Christ.
Thursday, Michelle and I were able to talk with the English teacher in El Palqui for over an hour about Christ. We read through bits and pieces of the book of Luke, from Gabriel coming to Mary to tell her that she would have a baby, to Jesus' ascension. We also read verses in Romans, revealing the gift of eternal life that is available to us. The English teacher told us that he knew about Christ and believed that Christ was God's Son (he is from a Catholic background), but that no one had ever told him that it was by believing in Christ that we are able to have a relationship with God. I gave him the New Testament I had with me and we wrote down some verses for him to read. Be praying for him as he reads.
There have been so many conversations, little 2 minute conversations all the way to over an hour about Christ. So often, I feel that it has been difficult for us, yet God has been revealing Himself to the people around us and leading them to ask questions. Be praying that in these next 2 weeks that we will be faithful witnesses of the work that God has done in our lives, even as our time here comes to a close.
This next week, we will be celebrating Thanksgiving with several other American families in the area. I am so thankful for each of you who have been praying for me over the past few months. Just another 3 weeks and I will be back in the United States. I praise the Father for using each of you to be an encouragement to me and for the work that has occurred because of your persistent prayer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment